Saturday, August 7, 2010

This Side of the Journey

The past couple of months of my life have been what I would consider "wrap up" times. I was wrapping things up in China and preparing for life ahead. As I began reflecting over my two years in China, I began really sensing how spent I was. I felt and feel that I do not have much left to give. I emptied myself, and although I had great encouragement on the field, I really felt a strong sense that my iron needed to be sharpened.

God began to show me that I needed to rely more on Him, that I needed to trust Him more, and that I needed to surround myself with strong brothers and sisters to regain focus and vision for my life and walk with Him. It was through this conviction and realization that I really felt as though these next few weeks and maybe months I need to focus so much time on Him, His Word, and allowing Him to really cleanse me.

This morning I began working through the book "Returning to Holiness" by Dr. Gregory Frizzell. Below are some of the things that stuck out to me as I began working through the Scriptures and the cleansing process.

"The Christian life is not you trying to grit your teeth and somehow live for Him, it's learning to let Him live through you!" This was something God continually showed me in China, and something He, unfortunately, continually has to remind me of.

"Whatever sin He reveals, Christ already died for it! And God already knows about it anyway. God doesn't convict you to condemn you, but to set you free!"

Today I began working through the section titled "Sins of Thought" and covered assurance of salvation, taking every thought captive, and lust. Here are some verses to reflect on.

"And this is eternal life, that they know you the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent." John 17:3

"We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ" 2 Corinthians 10:5

"But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart." Matthew 5:28

No comments:

Post a Comment